Physical medicine and rehabilitation, rehabilitation medicine or physiatry is a branch of medicine that aims to improve and restore functional ability and quality of life to those people who suffer from physical impairments and disabilities. It is often said that medicine treats diseases while rehabilitation medicine prolongs and adds color to life. A physician having completed training in rehabilitation medicine is referred to as a physiatrist or as a rehabilitation medicine specialist. The major responsibilities of physiatrists are to restore optimal function to people with injuries to the musculoskeletal system, and the nervous system (such as stroke and spinal cord injury patients).
- Stroke rehabilitation
- Musculoskeletal system rehabilitation (ex/ shoulder pain, low back pain, etc…)
- Pediatric rehabilitation
- Soft tissue ultrasound examination (for the diagnosis of musculoskeletal disorders).
- Spinal cord injury and other neurorehabilitation services
- Cardiac rehabilitation
Most of the above mentioned services are covered by the National Health Service of Taiwan. Rehabilitation treatments include services from the teams of physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy. Our department also offers other services that may benefit the needed patients, but some of these treatments are not covered by the National Health Service of Taiwan:
- Ultrasound-guided caudal epidural injection for the treatment of low back pain syndrome.
- Ultrasound and stimulator guided botulinum toxin injection for the treatment of spasticity.
- Ultrasound-guided injection and aspiration techniques for the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders.
- Music and art therapies.
- Prescription of prosthesis or orthosis (ex/ wearing total contact insoles for the treatment of pes cavus).
Our Facility and Scale
Presently, we have a total of 39 physical therapists, 22 occupational therapists, and 12 speech therapists in all the three medical branches combined. The total area of the therapy rooms is approximately 2,500 square meters. This scale is considered as the largest in Asia in both the staff number and rehabilitation treatment area. Rehabilitation team consists of physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy, all with different missions and goals.
2012 Taiwan Pediatric Early Intervention with "outstanding" award
We are regarded as one of the best centers for early intervention in Taiwan. The Taipei city government has just awarded us with an "outstanding" award for early intervention.
2013' 3rd English Website Competition among Taipei, Linkou, and Taoyuan branches with "First Place" award.
Congratulations to the Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at Taipei Branch, The website is professionally constructed, and has won the hearts of many visitors due to its excellent contents.